Squirk's Overseas Experience

The tales of one Kiwi returning to Mother Britain and exploring the Big Wide World... without being eaten by a shark.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Hamiltron, transform and roll out

Rumour has it that Jon described Hamburg as the Hamilton of Europe. Now that I've spent almost a week there, I think I can comfortably say that the pot-smoking smalltown boy racer culture that defines Hamiltron was sadly lacking. The university dorm building I stayed in did have a vending machine for beer, though.

Come to think of it, there was beer everywhere. More often than not, it was tasty German beer, served in special glasses. With the bratwurst croissants, currywurst, baconed potatoes and pork schnitzel, I also think I ate more meat this weekend than the past three months combined.

My 12-holidays-in-12-months scheme is panning out pretty well! Sadly, my travels have been during a time where blog posting opportunities have been scarce. However, I had news from the landlord today: now I have one of those modern internet connection things you hear the kids talk about.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:58 am AEST, Blogger hg said…

    i heard someone refer to hamilton here in nz as hamiltron. it was a good day

     
  • At 3:29 pm AEST, Blogger Jon said…

    City of the future man. While Hamburg may not have the boy racers, it does have roughly the same amount of greyness and boringness.

     
  • At 12:05 am AEST, Blogger fairy princess said…

    I thought belgrade was the halmiltron of europe?

    i.e.

    Welcome to Belgrade - City of the Future in Southern Europe!

    http://www.beograd.org.yu/cms/view.php?id=220

     
  • At 12:08 am AEST, Blogger fairy princess said…

    then I read that LONDON had won the city of the future award for northern europe.....

    So london is the hamiltron of europe!

     
  • At 8:47 am AEST, Blogger Joel said…

    Also Templeton (by Chch) claims to be a city of the future. By all estimates in are in for a whole lot more cities in the future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home