Squirk's Overseas Experience

The tales of one Kiwi returning to Mother Britain and exploring the Big Wide World... without being eaten by a shark.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sleep is for the weak

Anyone who's worked with me knows that I'm not always on time. Okay, that's perhaps a little mild. Sometimes, when I was aiming for a 9 am start time, I lay in bed for so long that I didn't get to work until after midday. It was too hard to get up.

I didn't dread my job or anything -- it was just incredibly difficult to physically sit up. I would just lie awake in bed for hours, willing myself to get up; watching the clock tick past nine, past ten... I would curse myself out loud but still only manage to roll onto my side.

I'm much better now, thankfully -- it's difficult to pin down exactly why. Steve Pavlina, in his article How to become an early riser offers some straightforward tips on getting sorted.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:27 am AEST, Blogger Joel said…

    Don't I know it. I am hopeless at waking up, but I'm also hopeless at going to sleep before 1am. I still want to attempt the uberman cycle properly one day.

    Half hearted attempt here

     
  • At 2:20 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hehe that is very impressive!! What has brought this on i wonder? Maybe you are finially becoming a grown-up and realising that being punctual is important :) Or maybe your bed just isnt comfortable enough....

    DJ :)

     
  • At 9:06 am AEST, Blogger hg said…

    I LOVE SLEEP
    I WISH I COULD GET SOME
    I FEEL LIKE A JUNKIE WITH NO MORE HEROIN
    PLEASE LET ME STOP WORKING FOR JUST A DAY TO SLEEP

     
  • At 9:31 am AEST, Blogger Squirk said…

    Joel: I've been interested in "alternative sleep patterns" before, but none seem practical. Also, hugely changing your sleep patterns suddenly sounds like a really risky way to do it.

    Jungle Rhino: No! It cannot be! Bens are known for their organisedness, and their timeliness too. I think you are lying and you are always on time really.

    DJ: Maybe I just have more to lose now? That's my theory, anyway.

     
  • At 9:33 am AEST, Blogger Squirk said…

    Brown: I miss being able to go for naps at lunchtime. That's one positive thing that driving to work gave me.

     
  • At 10:12 am AEST, Blogger hg said…

    I just want to live I don't think that's too much to ask.

     
  • At 6:11 am AEST, Blogger Robert Ancell said…

    If you sleep and drive, you're a bloody idiot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home