Squirk's Overseas Experience

The tales of one Kiwi returning to Mother Britain and exploring the Big Wide World... without being eaten by a shark.

Friday, November 04, 2005

I am employed

It's time to dance and sing for joy: I have just had a phone call with some excellent news.

There's a formal written offer coming in the mail on Monday, and the salary is not a compromise. Goodbye, money troubles!

Provisionally, my start date will be two weeks from next Monday. This leads me to consider a spot of travel (taking advantage of those ridiculously cheap flights ). Sweden? Germany? Croatia? Perhaps just a little jaunt around the rest of Britain.

I don't need to unwind on a beach in Greece -- it's been six months since I was at work, so I'm pretty relaxed already. I saw posters suggesting snowy Russia for Christmas break, and that looked very cool (no pun intended). I think I'd want to travel in a group, though, to enjoy it properly. I don't read Cyrillic (other than the letters for vodka) and besides, I'd have to fiddle around with their visa system.

Suggestions?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 7:11 am AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats Robert!
    I'm sure you will enjoy yourself even more now.
    You should go to Germany - you know you want to.
    N

     
  • At 6:44 pm AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!
    If I were in your place, I'd go to Belgium and drink a lot of their tasty bier. I hope to do this myself one day.

     
  • At 9:46 pm AEDT, Blogger Mel & Guy said…

    Congrats!

    If you want to go to Eastern Europe but without too much of the language hassle, I'd recommend Budapest. It's very nice this time of year and there's a lot of cheap deals out there.

     
  • At 8:53 am AEDT, Blogger Carly said…

    yay for you robert- go to cardiff and talk with the locals they rock the party!!!!!

     
  • At 9:19 am AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ROBERT!!!!
    I have to admit i was getting a little concerned that you didnt have a job yet... but its all good now!! sorry i cant recommend anywhere for you to go seeing as i have lived a sheltered life in lil ol NZ, but where-ever you go have a blast!!!!

    Miss ya

     
  • At 2:41 pm AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about the bracing breeze in Finland? or perhaps see if you can catch some kind of veneral disease in the Baltics?

    Hehe just don't do a Contiki tour for Gods sake!!

    Vietnam is nice this time of year btw :)

     
  • At 7:33 am AEDT, Blogger Robert Ancell said…

    This is an official blogger.com announcement. A post jam has occured and comments are piling up. If the blockage is not fixed comments may spill over to adjacent blogs ;)

     
  • At 11:40 pm AEST, Blogger Robert Ancell said…

    OK that's just odd... Who made that last comment?

    Where are you working???

     
  • At 11:41 pm AEST, Blogger Robert Ancell said…

    OK now I understand... your RSS feed is broken or Google reader is broken... this is an old post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home