Squirk's Overseas Experience

The tales of one Kiwi returning to Mother Britain and exploring the Big Wide World... without being eaten by a shark.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Good afterble constanoon

YouTube is hosting a montage of road safety commercials since New Zealand introduced its hard-hitting advertising campaign in 1995. The ads over here seem positively tame compared to most of those!

The soft music and nostalgia factor makes it more sad than horrifying, I find. Actually, I think The Cars' song Drive is a brilliantly emotive song and probably a perfect choice for this advert's message.

Except for Danny on the porch, I think I remember every single one of them. It's got most of the classics, including the ever-quotable same day, David and she was only four singer. I couldn't see Mark your car's on fire nor the turn it off vampire, though.

Sadly, it's harder to find the individual ads themselves; the LTSA does provide some archived material along with their explanation on how the campaign works, but none of the good 'uns.

Good afterble constanoon!

10 Comments:

  • At 4:24 pm AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, i'd forgotten about a lot of those!! do they have a high road toll over there, or do they just not focus on it so much as we do?

     
  • At 7:38 am AEDT, Blogger HerMama said…

    Were you there that time Mel, Lesley, Jessica, etc and I all went out one night and the taxi went through a stop point and Lesley tried to say "Good afterble constanoon", but instead said "good afternoon Constable"?

    Those ads are classics, although I have to say it's somewhat worrying that I ended up watching that through, and the only thing that made me cringe about those ads was how awful the fashion was... And they try to tell us that we aren't immune to them.

    So when do you away Mr. Hunter?

     
  • At 9:31 pm AEDT, Blogger Squirk said…

    @abby:
    According to International Traffic Safety data, the UK road toll is about half that of NZ (when scaled to population).

    The driving and social conditions are very different here, though, so I'm not sure that advertising is a big factor.

     
  • At 9:34 pm AEDT, Blogger Squirk said…

    @God Awful Poet:
    I think I remember something about that reversed reversal.

    Man, I'd completely forgotten about those police checkpoints and the fear that came with them. I always seemed to have something to hide -- usually it was breaching the terms of my licence...

     
  • At 9:14 am AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy New Year Mr Squirt! There is a certain JS fella who has a not quite starring role in the latest LSTA advert, to quote him he says "I look totally hot". I beg to differ but at least he doesnt get splattered :P

    You ever coming home??? How's that Alex lad? Have you bumped into Nadia yet?

    Ange (yes gen-i Ange, how u doing :)

     
  • At 9:15 am AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LTSA even ...

     
  • At 7:09 pm AEDT, Blogger Squirk said…

    @Ange:
    Ooh, I must see this "I look totally hot" ad! Is it on the 'net somewhere?

    Alex is doing alright, "working" for a charity hospital. I haven't seen Nadia since the last Gen-i reunion (Geoff Wyeth and Tony Heung were there too), but she had a blast in Eastern Europe.

     
  • At 9:19 am AEDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes as it happens, see if you can catch a fleeting glance...

    http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/advertising/failure-to-give-way.html

    the clip is the first one under the title 'under pressure'

    Give that Alex a slap and tell him to drop me a line at work :)

    Ange

    Ange

     
  • At 5:56 pm AEST, Blogger JS said…

    Mr Hunter.
    JS here. I didn't even know that clip was on the net. I have to find it here? You ninja for hire you.

     
  • At 4:29 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Want some LTSA/LTNZ ads?

    www.youtube.com/wuzzlevideos

    I collect these road safety adverts and I uploaded a load of them, and I found your blog post while I was googling for other ones :) So I thought I'd post this for you, enjoy :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home